How I have missed sewing. Now that Nora is a little older it has been getting a little easier to do a little sewing for myself and for gifts.
I had two baby showers to attend this summer and decided I would make gifts for each. This is what got me back into the swing of sewing again. It was so nice to just sit down and make small quilts and burp cloths.
This quilt come together pretty fast. I had quite a few boy themed fat quarters in my stash and since I have a girl they were just sitting there waiting for the perfect project. I created this quilt by cutting my fat quarters into 5 inch squares. (I think I got 10-12 squares out of each fat quarter) I played around with layouts for awhile until I finally decided on this one.
Having a baby of my own, I did not want to make this a very heavy quilt since you always seem to get heavy quilts/blankets. Sometimes it’s nice to have a lightweight quilt for tummy time, covering the car seat and so forth. So I did not use any batting, making for a nice summer weight quilt. I was starting to run low on time so I decided to use a cheater method for my binding. I cut down the backing to an even 1″ all around and followed Rae’s cheater binding method. A nice simple way to finish off a quilt, without the hassle of actually making binding; a winner in my book!
With all of the sewing for others, I had to be a little selfish and do some sewing for myself. So far I have made myself two new bags! It has been so long since I made a bag. The first bag I made was a new diaper bag for myself. I don’t think I would even call it a diaper bag per say, just a big bag that will hold my wet bag with extra cloth diapers, wipes, wet bag for dirties, an extra onesie, and a burp cloth. I am a minimalist when it comes to carrying around baby items, plus I usually have a few back up items in my car as well!
The wet bag was a gift given to me by one of Derek’s cousins and it is my favorite wet bag. This has become my favorite bag to carry, plus I just love the polka dots. Just an all around fun bag to carry.
Since Nora and I make quite a few trips to the library every week, I of course needed to make a new library tote. I had an old library tote that I made when I first started sewing a few years ago, but I didn’t create a gusset for the bottom and it was just too small for picture books. So I created this one that is 13.5″ across, 15″ high, and 4″ wide and to help keep the structure I sewed the sides and the bottom of the bag. (I hope to create a tutorial very soon!). So needless to say I stuff this bag regularly with library books for Nora and myself.
Now I have more projects in the works including finishing up a quilt for Nora to use this winter!